Today in the Apologetics class, we continued our series on Islam by watching Nabeel Qureshi /David Wood – Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus series parts 3 & 4.
Part 3 was Different Approaches of Ministering to Muslims:
Part 4 was Answering Common Muslim Objections: The Bible Has Been Corrupted:
Here is the note-taking form I passed out during the class:
Nabeel Qureshi & David Wood – Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus Series
Different Approaches of Ministering to Muslims (21 minutes 19 seconds)
- Nabeel: evidence for Christianity was much s__________ than for Islam, or any other worldview.
- Nabeel was tired of Christians who didn’t have a_____________ or didn’t have a backbone.
- Nabeel said, “If you think that I need to believe the gospel to be s___________, which I thought was ridiculous, then you’d better come with reasons, because I have reasons why Islam is true.”
- David’s aggression wasn’t an angry or negative aggression, but more of an a________________.
- There are different approaches – you need to think about what kind of person you are…
- Aggressive? Like to argue? Use it – find Muslims who shared that kind of approach.
- If you are incredibly l_____________, then use that approach
- If you’re good at just walking up and talking to people, use that approach
- If you’re good at making v________, use that approach (or public debates with Muslims)
- Being active on s__________ m___________ (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Public speaking
- Writing and/or b________________
- What are your goals?
- Jihad or Sharia? Treatment of Christians or Jews under Islam… (refuting Islam as an ideology to improve these social issues)
- One of the biggest people groups (__.___ billion) who are unreached or under-reached
- Who has God made you to be? Do that. You have a unique p________________. There is no c______________ approach, although relationships are important and preferred.
- H______________ and P______________ are important.
- Willingness to l____________ is important.
- You don’t have to be a scholar on Islam – the most important thing is that you know why you are a Christian and they need to be g__________ reasons and not b________ reasons.
- Know why you can t_______ Scripture – know the reason for the hope within you (1 Peter 3:15)
- If you say you believe in the Trinity, be able to explain what the Trinity is, otherwise you don’t actually believe it – you’re just parroting what you’re s____________ to b____________.
- You should come ready with an understanding of w______ you believe and w___ you believe it.
Common Muslim objection: The Bible has been corrupted (23 minutes 33 seconds)
- Muslims have had this drilled into their head at the Mosque, the Qur’an is been perfectly pr_____________, but the Bible has been c______________.
- Muslims must believe that all scripture is divinely inspired-including all scripture that has come b____________ the Qur’an. However, they don’t have to reconcile what the Bible says with the Qur’an, because they claim that it’s been corrupted, that it doesn’t say what it originally said.
- David: if you’re claiming it has been corrupted, w_____ was it corrupted and w___ corrupted it?
- David responds differently to same objection depending on worldview of person.
- Muslims who say the Bible has been corrupted have a p______________ on their hands, because their text says that our scriptures haven’t been corrupted.
- The Qur’an affirms the inspiration of the Torah & Gospels. It doesn’t just affirm the i__________ of the Torah and the Gospel, it also affirms the p______________ of the Torah and the Gospel.
- Qur’an 3:3-4 says Allah revealed the Torah and the Gospel as a gu____________ to mankind.
- Qur’an 7:157 – Jews & Christians in Muhammad’s day still reading the Torah and the Gospel.
- There are passages in the Quran that talk about no one being able to c_________ Allah’s words.
- Qur’an 5:43 says “Why are the Jews coming to you for judgment when they have the Torah?”
- In chapter 5:47 of the Qur’an, Allah says “Let the people of the Gospel judge by what Allah has revealed there in. If anyone fails to judge by what Allah has revealed they are no better than those that rebel.” This (people of the Gospel) is referring to C______________.
- If the Jews and Christians have corrupt scripture, then these passages make no sense.
- When Muhammad was having doubts about his revelations, Allah tells him that the Gospel and the Torah are au____________________ over him.
- David to Muslims: “If you’re saying my scripture is corrupted, why does your God say something very d___________________ in the book you claim to believe?”
- Nabeel: The Qur’an never actually says that the Bible has been corrupted. Once you’ve made an airtight case for a doctrine from the Bible, the only thing that remains for them to say is that the Bible has been corrupted.
- Within early Islamic history, it is recorded that all the Qur’ans were b___________ because they had differences in them. This is from Sahih Bukhari & is within 20 years of Muhammad’s death.
- When given e________________, a Muslim may deny it right at the moment, but later at home might be thinking about it.
- David’s approach:
- Here’s what Quran says about Bible. If my scriptures are corrupt, you’ve got a problem.
- Here’s history of Bible-no place in there to have the kind of corruption you’re describing.
- What’s the criteria of what counts as a corruption? If t_________ v___________s count as corruption, then guess what? There are textual variants in the text of the Qur’an!
- Muhammad’s own companions didn’t agree about ch______________ to be in the Qur’an.
- What was the Nabeel “tired of” as he talked to Christians?
- What are some of the approaches that you can use to reach out to Muslims?
- What are some important character traits you must develop to be successful at this endeavor?
- What are some of the most important things you must know to reach out to a Muslim?
- Muslims have had what “drilled into their heads” at the Mosque?
- What does the Qur’an say about the inspiration and preservation of the Bible?
- If the Bible is corrupted, what problem do Muslims have on their hands?
- Does the Qur’an say that the Bible is corrupted?
- What incident in the history of Islam shows that the Qur’an has been corrupted? Was this type of incident even possible with the Bible?