Today we continued the Mormonism series by watching The Lost Book of Abraham movie:
Here is the note-taking form:
The Lost Book of Abraham movie
- The book of Abraham is considered inspired Scripture (word of God) by the LDS church.
- Joseph Smith t___________ this from an ancient Egyptian scroll of hieroglyphics (bought in Kirtland, OH 1835) but at that time in America, no one could read Egyptian hieroglyphics.
- Joseph Smith purchased the scrolls (and mummies) for $2,____, which he raised from investors.
- Joseph started by creating an al________ and gr__________ of the Egyptian language. We have his notes for this process of translation.
- Joseph created a bank in Kirtland, OH, which f________, after which he f___ from there at night.
- Joseph and the Mormons moved to Commerce, IL and renamed it to Nauvoo, where he became m______ of the city, had a large militia & even announced his candidacy for p_______ of the US
- In Nauvoo, IL in 18____, Joseph published his translation of the book of Abraham.
- The book of Abraham includes a c__________ story “they, that is the Gods, organized and formed…”. See the book of Abraham chapters 4 & 5 – Mormonism is polytheistic.
- In June 27th, 1844, Joseph was assassinated while in j_______ in Carthage, IL
- 1846 – 1856: the papyri are l_________ to the church
- In 1846, under the leadership of Brigham Young, the Mormons moved to S____ L____ C____, UT
- It was assumed that the papyri was d__________ in the great Chicago fire of 1871
- 3 d___________ in book of Abraham misidentified by Joseph, according to Egyptologists.
- These drawings are actually, from the “book of the dead” (Egyptian funeral text)
- 1966 – A dramatic discovery – the papyri was f_______ in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY.
- 1967 – the lost papyri presented to the LDS church along with attesting letter from E____ S____
- Abraham not mentioned once in the papyri. Joseph’s translation was found to be incorrect.
- The LDS church claims that a large portion of the scroll is m__________, but this is not correct.
- Some argue that Joseph may’ve received the translation by direct revelation from God…
- According to Joseph Smith’s diary, this is not correct – he was tr__________ it directly.
- According to Egyptologists, there is no historical v__________ to the translations in that book.
- Are the Mormon truth claims cr___________? Are they the kinds of things that we ought to bet our l___________ on?
- Since Joseph’s translation of the book of Abraham, which can be tested, has been found to lack credibility, then how can we accept his translation of the book of Mormon, which cannot be tested?
- Where is the book of Abraham found within the Mormon scriptures?
- How do the drawings in the book of Abraham help to demonstrate that the translation of the book is not correct?
- How was Joseph’s translation of this ancient Egyptian scroll tested and found to be false?
- How was the Egyptian scroll lost by the Mormons?
- When/where was the Egyptian scroll found? How did it get back into the hands of the LDS church?
- What did the Egyptian scroll contents really contain? Did Joseph’s translation have any validity?
- According to the book of Abraham’s creation story, is Mormonism a monotheistic religion?
- How, where and under what circumstances did Joseph Smith die?
- Which Mormon leader led the LDS church migration to Salt Lake City?
- Under what circumstances did Joseph and the Mormons flee Kirtland, Ohio?
- How does the book of Abraham demonstrate that Joseph Smith is a false prophet?