Today we are starting a 7-part series on Mormonism. We’re starting the series by watching Good News for LDS Part 1 (Chapters 1-7):
Who Was Jesus:
Who is God:
Prophecies and Revelations:
The Character of Joseph Smith:
Here is the note-taking form I handed out before showing these videos:
Good News for LDS Part 1 (Chapters 1-7) ~37 ½ minutes
- Joseph Smith vs. Jesus Christ
- Was Joseph Smith a m____m_______ or a gifted pr________?
- Jesus Christ, the man who claimed to be God
- Did Jesus become a god, or has He always been God?
- Who is Jesus?
- Mormons say Jesus was the first spirit b_________ to our heavenly Father
- According to Mormonism, Jesus is the spirit brother of L__________ (S_____________)
- Christian view of Jesus – He was God in the fl_______, eternal, the uncreated Creator of all things (including angels, such as Satan).
- Who is God?
- According to Joseph Smith, the Father has a body of fl______ and b_____. (D&C 130:22)
- According to the Bible, God (the Father) is Spirit. (John 4:24)
- God is everlasting (Psalms 90:2)
- According to the Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, God was once a m______.
- According to LDS teaching, there are many g________.
- According to 1 Corinthians 8:4-6, there is no God but one.
- Book of Abraham 2:24 has God telling Abraham to l_______, which contradicts Ex. 20:16
- How Do We Obtain Eternal Life?
- Christian view – belief in Christ as Savior and Lord guarantees eternal life (free g______).
- Mormon view – (D&C 76) 3 Kingdoms: Telestial, Terrestrial, Celestial. You have to keep all the c________________, be baptized, etc…
- Christian view – all authority is in Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:18)
- Mormon view – Joseph Smith holds the keys to h___________.
- Christian view – we can know that we have eternal life (1 John 5:13)
- Mormon view – they can’t be sure if they will make it into the celestial kingdom
- Archaeological Evidence:
- No book of Mormon location is k_________ with reference to modern topography (Professor Dee Green – BYU)
- Biblical archaeology can be studied – we know where biblical places are (e.g. Jerusalem)
- Joseph Smith – Prophecies and Revelations
- Inhabitants of the M__________ – look like Quakers
- City of New Jerusalem – to be built in Independence, M_____________
- David Patten Mission, but he died at the battle of cricket river in the fall of that year
- See Deut. 13:1-3, a warning against f____________ pr____________
- Biblical requirement for a prophet – 100% accuracy (Deut. 18:21-22)
- Joseph prophesied the coming of the L___, but Jesus said that’s impossible (Matt. 24:36)
- The Character of Joseph Smith
- He is portrayed by the LDS church as a virtuous family man who is persecuted for his beliefs, but prevails, due to his tremendous faith and his miraculous works.
- At the age of ___, Joseph claimed to have a vision of God the F______ and J__________.
- At age ___, Joseph was arrested in Bainbridge, NY for deception of Josiah Stole (a misdemeanor for his “glass looking”)
- Joseph Smith committed multiple a_________. 27 women were “sealed” to him. He revealed the doctrine of “plural marriage” in 1843 after being caught in an adulterous affair with Fanny Alger. He married u______ girls & women who were already married.
- Warren Jeffs is in prison for the same behavior that Joseph practiced.
- The Bible condemns multiple wives. (Deut. 17:17, Mark 10:7-9, 1 Tim. 3:2,12; Titus 1:6)
- Who is Joseph Smith?
- What does the LDS acronym stand for? What is the full name of the Mormon Church?
- How do the biblical and LDS views of Jesus differ?
- How do the biblical and LDS views of God differ?
- How do the biblical and LDS views of eternal life (as well as how one obtains it) differ?
- Is there any archeological evidence that the Book of Mormon is true? Is there any archeological evidence that the Bible is true?
- Has Joseph Smith met the biblical test for being a prophet of God? Where is that biblical test found?
- In what ways is the Joseph Smith portrayed by the LDS church different than the Joseph Smith of history?
- How would you answer the charge that men of God in the Old Testament had multiple wives, so this must be a practice approved by God?
- How would you answer the charge that several biblical authors were also sinners (e.g. David, Solomon, Abraham, Moses, etc.) like Joseph, so we can still believe Joseph’s writings?