Mining for God
Lord willing, tomorrow, in our Apologetics class, we will be watching and discussing the excellent film, “Mining for God”. This can be purchased here:
It is an hour long film and features many of the prominent names in apologetics today. Here is the note-taking form (with discussion questions) that I will hand out to the students:
Mining for God – May 6th 2018
William Lane Craig, Nabeel Qureshi, Craig Hazen, Gary Habermas, Michael Licona, Lee Strobel, Alan Shlemon, Paul Copan, J. Warner Wallace, Mary Jo Sharp, John Stonestreet, Tim Keller, Donald Williams and others.
- Christianity as it’s presented in the m___________ is ridiculous.
- Sometimes we use the same v________________ but not the same d___________________
- The world’s view of Christ, Christianity and Christians all come from people that aren’t s_______
- What is Christianity? Some answers given:
- G______________ people will go to heaven.
- Just a system to have p_____________ over people
- All religions are basically the s___________, we ought to just pick one that works for us.
- Western culture used to be Christian, and is therefore i_______________________
- Many people in America are cultural Christians or n__________ Christians, who are unchurched. Not knowledgeable about the basics of the faith. You might call them “Christians in name only”.
- N__________________, a theory denying that an event or an object has a spiritual significance specifically, the doctrine that scientific laws are adequate to account for all phenomena.
- Naturalism deeply permeates Western culture.
- We are not animals, & we’re not God, we’re made in the i_____ of G___ and we act like animals.
- Is man, made in the image of God, qualitatively different from the other animals in creation?
- Either life is m_____________ or its not – if it’s not, the only way to say it’s not (that has real credibility) is the b____________ story.
- I refer to my body as a possession – what’s possessing it? Me (my soul).
- This idea (that you can’t know anything except through science), can’t be known through science. I have to arrive there philosophically.
- Modern science is permeated by assumptions which cannot themselves be scientifically p_____
- The C______________ A_________________:
- Whatever begins to exist has a cause.
- The universe began to exist.
- Therefore the universe has a cause.
- The universe cannot cause itself, so, its cause must be beyond the space-time universe. Its cause must be spaceless, timeless, immaterial, uncaused and p__________________
- We are in a universe that displays certain d______ f________, both in the galaxy and in biology.
- Nature can create patterns (e.g. ripples in sand), but if you’re walking down the beach and you see “John loves Mary” with a heart around it and an arrow through it, you would never say “the waves did that!” Whenever we see information we know there’s i_________ behind it. If that’s true, what about the vast storehouse of information in every one of the cells of your body?
- 2014 Gallup poll on human origins, 73% of Americans still believe in God (in some sense).
- R_________________: the doctrine that knowledge, truth and morality exist in relation to culture, society or historical context and are not absolute.
- Many people in modern culture take a sort of c______________ approach to religion (a little bit of this, a little bit of that). The presupposition of this approach is that there is no objective truth in religion, but that it is just a “matter of taste”.
- Our culture doesn’t make distinction between o______ truth claims and s________ truth claims.
- Can be wrong about God’s existence, but my o_____ can’t change it. He either exists or doesn’t.
- They (religions) can’t all be right – either God is p__________ or i____________, either God has a Son or does not. These are contradictory ideas and cannot both be true at the same time.
- Christianity is u_______________ and stands apart from the great world religious traditions.
- How do the different world religions handle the problem of pain, sin and a messed up world?
- Islam: if I’m more of a g__________ person than a b_______ person, I’ll end up in heaven.
- God could deal with this by eliminating all evil at midnight tonight, but if He did so, which one of us would be left at 1AM?
- The message of Christianity is “we all fall short” (Rom. 3:23), we could never lift ourselves up by our b_____________, we could never earn our way. That’s the bad news, but the good news is that Jesus came to lay down His life as a ransom for us and our sins. Jesus did for us what no other religious leader did (or claimed to do) – He made the p______________ in full.
- In order to accept the good news, you first have to accept the bad news.
- Christ offers us something that we wish we didn’t need, which is f__________ of sin. Without the ministry of the Holy Spirit bringing conviction of sin, we’re not going to accept the d_______
- The Bible is the story of: C_____________, F________, R______________, R_______________
- What distinguishes Christianity: a test, by which we can know it is true – the r_______________
- Many historical events rest on 2 independent sources. Bart Ehrman lists _____ ancient sources for the crucifixion of Jesus. This is the historical principal of “multiple a________________”.
- The M______________ F___________ Approach looks only at the facts that are:
- Supported by multiple ancient sources
- Agreed upon by the vast majority of scholars today
- Majority of scholars today think the tomb was empty, but h_____________ theory is a full tomb theory, not empty tomb theory. If disciples saw hallucination, should’ve been body in the tomb.
- If you look at the evidence, without precluding s____________________, the best explanation, by far, is the resurrection.
- This isn’t some “random dude”, in some miscellaneous place, that we’re saying rose from the dead. It’s someone who’s coming had been prepared for by providence and predicted by p___________________ for 2,000 years.
- If Jesus really did rise from the dead, that changes everything. There’s more to life than believing that we are just an a_______________________
- The only place where anything makes sense in this world is that place where the shadow of the c___________ falls on an e______ t______. Stand there, and all questions become answerable.
- Which came first (biblically)? The chicken or the egg?
- Explain a feature of the Universe or of biology that demonstrates intentional design.
- What is the Cosmological Argument for God’s existence? Are the first 2 premises sound?
- In what ways are humans different from the animals?
- What is the cafeteria approach to religion? Why is this problematic? What presuppositions are evident in that approach to religion?
- In what ways does Christianity stand apart from other world religions?
- What is the bad news? What is the good news? Does the good news make sense w/o the bad?
- Why does the resurrection prove that God exists and that Christianity is true?